Veggie chilli “not” con carne served with baked sweet potato
A super simple one pot recipe that can be prepared in advance and is a great one if you want to do some batch cooking and fill up the freezer. This is a super healthy and high protein meal full of nutrition.
- Cuisine: Lunch or Dinner
- Preparation Time: 25 Minutes
- Cooking Time: 1 hour
- Total time: 1 hour and 25 Minutes
- Servings: Makes 10 Portions
- Allergens: NONE
- Requires: Chopping board, chefs knife, large saucepan, wooden spoon, oven and a tin opener
- 5 small sweet potatoes
- 10ml olive oil
- 1 large red onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 2 small carrots
- 1 whole courgette
- 3 whole bell peppers (1 red, 1 green, 1 yellow)
- Sea salt
- Ground black pepper
- 1 vegetable stock cube (300ml of water)
- 175g green lentils
- 175g button mushrooms
- 20g tomato puree
- 2 x 400g tins chopped tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon mild chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 100g frozen peas
- 2 x 400g tins kidney beans
- Pre heat oven at 200ºc and cook the potatoes ready to serve with the chilli.
- Heat a large saucepan to a medium heat and add the oil.
- Dice the onions, garlic, carrot, courgette and peppers and add them to the pan with some salt and pepper and cook in the pan so they start to soften (5-10minutes).
- Make up the veg stock with the water and add this to the pan with the green lentils and leave on a medium heat to simmer for 15 minutes to cook the lentils.
- When they are nearly cooked add the mushrooms and simmer for a further 5 minutes.
- Add the tomato puree and chopped tomatoes along with the ground spices, peas and kidney beans
- Leave to simmer for 10 more minutes and then the chilli is done. Season well.
More Recipes / View All Recipes