Vegetable Dumpling Soup
Whip up these fluffy vegan dumplings and a savoury veggie soup to bathe them in! It’s the perfect bowl to cosy up with on a chilly winter’s day.
For the dumplings:
- 250g of chickpea flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 teaspoon olive oil
- 150ml warm water
For the soup:
- 1 finely chopped red onion
- 2 medium finely chopped carrot
- 2 sticks finely chopped celery
- 1 tablespoon cold-pressed olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme (or 1/2 tsp dried thyme)
- 1 teaspoon dried sage
- 1 teaspoon dried dill
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 whole potatoes, peeled and large diced
- 1 litre of vegetable broth (see recipe in module 4)
- 1-litre hot water
- 200g frozen peas
- 100g finely chopped kale
- 50g roughly chopped parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Make the dough first by stirring together flour, baking powder, sea salt and herbs. Then create a well in the centre of the mixture and pour oil and warm water in. Fold together with a spatula until well combined. It will be quite dry and easy to roll into a ball. Let it rest in the bowl covered with a tea towel while you prepare the soup.
- Heat a stockpot over medium heat and sauté onion, carrot, and celery in vegetable oil for 4 to 5 minutes. Then add minced garlic, thyme, sage, dill, and ground black pepper and stir together for another 2 minutes.
- Stir in potatoes for 2 minutes. Add stock and bring to a boil. Cook the potatoes until fork tender and soft for about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Once boiling, you can prepare the dumplings. Roll them into balls and seal in a frying pan until golden brown first. When the soup is ready, add them in and let stand for ten minutes
- In the last 2 minutes of the soup cooking, add peas, kale, and parsley. You may need to add more salt and pepper.