Butterbean & Chickpea Curry
This curry is awesome. A perfect one pot meal that is quick and easy to make and can also be made in bulk of used for a good freezer filler.
- 1 whole red onion
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 1/2 a fresh red chili
- A 20g chunk of ginger
- 10g of ground turmeric
- 10g of garam masala
- 10g of ground cumin
- 3 whole peppers (1 red, 1 green and one yellow)
- 260g of butter beans
- 260g of chickpeas
- 400ml of tinned coconut milk (1 tin)
- 2 tablespoons of tomato paste
- 1 tin of chopped tomatoes
- 100g of baby spinach
- For the curry paste, finely slice the red onion, finely mince the garlic and then peel and slice the fresh ginger and finely chop half of the red chilli removing the seeds.
- Add the rapeseed oil to a pan and sweat the onions off for 2 minutes before adding the garlic, ginger and chilli.
- Add in the tomato puree, a small amount of water and all of the ground spices.
- Cook out the paste for a few minutes on a medium heat for a couple of minutes to really get those flavours cooked out and really coming through in the curry paste.
- Place into the blander and blend to a smooth paste
- When smooth add back into the pan
- For the curry: Finely slice the peppers and add into the curry paste to wilt them down once they have softened slightly
- Add in the chopped tomatoes and bring up to a gently simmer and leave for ten minutes string lightly every few minutes
- Drain and rinse the butter beans and chickpeas and then also add them into the curry
- Finish with the coconut milk and again bring up to a gently simmer
- Add in the spinach and wilt
- Once the spinach has wilted the curry is done
I recommend serving with cauliflower rice and the tomato and mango salsa from this course.