If you want to eat white potatoes then eat them this way! With Hasselback potatoes, you are cooking the potato in its most unrefined state and adding to it what you wish. Mine are really simple: roasted in the oven with nothing but garlic, rosemary and a tiny drizzle of coconut oil. This is a pure and delicious potato dish.
- 5 baking potatoes, cleaned and dry, but not peeled
- 4 tablespoons olive oil– divided
- 5 garlic cloves – thinly sliced
- 6 sprigs rosemary or thyme
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 200oc. The potatoes will be cooked in the middle of the oven to make sure they are cooked as evenly as possible
- Wash and dry the potatoes…leave thin skins on. Cut thin ⅛ inch slits into the potato, stopping just before you cut through the whole way so that the slices stay connected at the bottom of the potato –but don’t worry too much if you cut through it.
- Slice the garlic, very thinly. Slip a piece of garlic in every other slit in the potatoes. Tuck a rosemary leaf or two into the other slits. It doesn’t have to be perfect. Placing the rosemary and garlic in between the slices separates them, reduces cooking time and of course adds loads of awesome flavour.
- Brush the bottom of the baking tray with melted coconut oil and sprinkle the dish with salt and pepper.
- Brush top and sides of potatoes with 1-2 tablespoons coconut oil, (reserving 1 tablespoon for brushing again halfway through baking). You can use less oil if you prefer.
- Arrange the potatoes in a baking tray and sprinkle generously with salt and pepper.
- Bake the potatoes for 30-40 minutes. At this point, the layers will start separating. Brush the potatoes again with a little oil, making sure some of it drips down into the space between the slices.
- Bake for another 10 to 20 minutes, until the potatoes are crispy on the edges and fork tender. Bigger potatoes may take longer….and If they begin to get too brown, lightly cover with foil and turn the heat down to 180oc until tender and cooked all the way through. Total baking time is 60 to 70 minutes for medium-sized potatoes (if your potatoes are on the small side or are larger, adjust cooking time accordingly).
- Garnish with fresh rosemary leaves and enjoy with your meal.