Homemade Baked Beans
These are great on toast as a quick and easy breakfast, but of course you could use them in other ways too if you’ve not got much time in the mornings. They could be great as a part of a main dish too.
- 10ml of oil
- 1/2 a red onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon of tomato purée
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp dried thyme
- 10g of brown sugar
- 10ml of soy sauce
- 1 x 400g of tinned cannellini beans, drained weight – 240g
- 100g of tomato passata
- A pinch of black pepper
- Heat the oil in a saucepan,
- Add the finely diced onion and minced garlic.
- Cook over a medium heat for 5 minutes until soft and translucent.
- Add the tomato purée, paprika, thyme, brown sugar and soy sauce, and cook for 5 more minutes
- Add the beans and the tomato passata, and simmer for at least 5 minutes, until the mixture is piping hot and the sauce has thickened and reduced a little
- Season generously with black pepper – you probably won’t need any salt at all because of the soy sauce, but add it if you think it needs it.
- Serve warm on toast or as part of a main dish
Chopping board, Chef’s knife, Thick based saucepan, Wooden spoon