Lemon Drizzle Cake
7 ingredient gluten-free vegan and refined-sugar-free Lemon Drizzle Cake. Simple to make, full of flavour and sure to be a hit with lemon drizzle lovers! The perfect plant-based afternoon tea cake.
Lemon Drizzle Cake:
- 100 g coconut oil melted (roughly 7 tbsp)
- 150 g coconut sugar
- 200 ml of almond milk (unsweetened)
- 2 lemons (zest of 1 and juice of 2)
- 225 g gluten-free self-raising flour
- 1 tsp gluten-free baking powder
- 150 g ground almonds
Lemon Drizzle Sauce:
- 1½ lemons (zest of 1 and juice of 1½)
- 30 g coconut sugar
- Preheat your oven to 180°C fan/gas mark 6. Line a 900g loaf tin with baking paper
- Now, in a large mixing bowl add the 100g melted coconut oil and 150g coconut sugar and whisk until smooth
- Add the 200ml almond milk, zest of 1 lemon and juice of 2 lemons and whisk
- Into the bowl sieve 225g gluten-free self-raising flour, 1 tsp gluten-free baking powder and 150g ground almonds (some ground almonds won’t go through the sieve, just add them into the bowl)
- Mix until it forms a smooth batter and pour into the prepared tin
- Bake in the oven at 180°C fan/gas mark 6 for 35 minutes
- Meanwhile, make the lemon drizzle sauce. In a small bowl, mix the zest of 1 lemon, the juice of 1½ lemons and 30g coconut sugar.
- IMPORTANT! Remove the cake from the oven and allow it to cool in the tin, for at least 30 minutes, this helps it to firm up a little more inside
- Once the cake has cooled, in the tin for 30 minutes, carefully lift it out, using the paper. Then, with a fork, create holes across the top and pour over the lemon drizzle sauce. Top with lemon slices, if using and slice
Storage: This will store in an airtight container for a few days at room temperature or in the fridge for 5.
Freezing: Slice and freeze separately, allow to defrost at room temperature for a few hours.