Smoky Kale Chips
These are the healthiest crisps ever! These smoked paprika “cheezy” kale chips are super tasty. Great with a bit of added chilli to make them spicy, once you start eating them, you can’t stop. They can be made in a dehydrator or in the oven. Great to make in a big batch and enjoy for multiple days in a row.
- Prep the kale by first giving it a good wash and then taking the leaves off the thick stalks.
- Just using your hands break down the kale into small crisp sized pieces.
- Finely slice the red onion and break it up into a large mixing bowl with the rest of the prepared kale.
- Massage the kale with a splash of olive oil and a pinch of pink salt and leave for an hour to slightly wilt in the bowl.
- Into a blender jug place the almonds, tamari, nutritional yeast, smoked paprika, garlic, ginger and water and blend to a smooth paste on full speed.
- Marinate the kale and red onions in this paste for a further 2 hours.
- After the 2 hours the kale is ready to go in, spread your mix evenly over dehydrator sheets and dehydrate for 18 hours at 42 degrees.
- After 18 hours the kale chips are ready. Leave them out of the dehydrator for 10 minutes to cool down and then scrape them off the trays using a spatula and break them up into small pieces.
- If you don’t have a dehydrator do not worry – you can still do the same process in an oven on the lowest temperature for around 2/4 hours.
- Keep an eye on them though because they will burn easily if the oven temperature is not even.
- It will be a slightly higher heat so to keep it as raw as possible, prop the door open slightly with a tea towel this will also help with the air circulation and make sure they don’t go soggy from the condensation.
- Seal and store in an airtight container making sure they are fully cooled before you do so.
Tip: Try and spread your chips across the dehydrator trays as much as you can otherwise when they are done you can end up with them all being stuck together in big clumps. You don’t want that!
*This post contains affiliate links. If you use these links to buy something I may earn a commission. Thank you.
More Recipes / View All Recipes