Refined Sugar Free
- Sliced banana
- 150g almonds
- 150g buckwheat
- 2 tablespoons lucuma powder
- 10 dates
- 50ml coconut nectar – SHOP
- A pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 15 soaked dates
- 100ml water
- 50g cacao powder – SHOP
- 50ml coconut oil – SHOP
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon braggs liquid aminos – SHOP
- In your food processor or high speed blender, blitz to a fine powder your buckwheat with your whole almonds, lucuma powder, salt and cinnamon.
- When it is as fine as you can get it, start adding your dates and blend again; this will then start to bring your mix together and a sticky dough will begin to form.
- Making sure all of the dates are blended and no large bits are still in the mix, add in your coconut nectar. This will then bring all the ingredients together and it should be very easy to remove from the blender in one whole lump.
- Line a tray with baking parchment paper and your cake ring. Now press the mix into it, making sure you really press it down to get a nice firm base (I normally would do this with the back of a spoon or by just putting a little cold water to dampen my hand – this makes it a lot easier to press the base mix in without it sticking to your hands to much).
- Place the base in the fridge until firm (roughly half an hour). While this sets. you can make the next layer.
- When your base is firm, cover the whole thing with thinly sliced banana macerated in a little bit of lemon juice to stop them going brown – then place back into the fridge.
Third Layer / Date Caramel:
- Soak your dates for between 2-4 hours.
- When you are ready to make your caramel drain off and rinsed the soaked dates.
- Place them in a high speed blender with 100ml filtered water, 50ml coconut oil, 50g cacao powder, pinch of salt, tiny splash of brags liquid aminos and 1 teaspoon cinnamon powder.
- Blend on the highest speed for about 1 minute until super smooth, then with a small pallet knife even this out over the top of the banana layer that we put on top of the base.
- Place in the fridge or freezer to set this layer depending and how fast you are trying to make it.
Forth Layer / Cashew and banana layer:
- Soak your cashew nuts for 2-4 hours, remembering the drain and rinse them after soaking to remove the enzyme inhibitors.
- In the food processor blend your soaked cashew nuts with 3 whole bananas, the juice of one whole lemon, cinnamon, a pinch of pink salt and coconut nectar.
- Blend this for a few minutes, making sure it is super-smooth, then slowly add in your liquid coconut oil while it is still blending. This will ensure the mix is not cold when you are adding the coconut oil. If the mix is cold, the coconut oil will set to fast and won’t mix properly.
- Making sure that the date layer is fully set, pour the cashew nut and banana mix on top, filling the ring level with the top.
To Finish the Cake
- After leaving your cake in the fridge over night or in the freezer for at least 4 hours, take it out and using a small pallet knife, run it around the entire cake ring to loosen and remove your cake.
- Sprinkle with cacao powder, slice and serve!
GET FREE RECIPES!
Join my mailing list to receive exclusive free recipes, events and news straight to your inbox.