Orange and Maple Syrup Roasted Carrots with Caramelised Onion and Coriander
Such a simple but effective salad dish that can be served hot or cold and will keep in the fridge for up to 5 days mixed. I use baby carrots for this but that’s just me and my OCD for presentation, but you can also use normal carrots cut in diagonal slices. This one’s great as a standalone salad but also a great accompaniment of side to a bigger main dish.
- Cuisine: Salads
- Time: 45 minutes
- Servings: Makes 4 generous portions
- Allergens: None
- Requires: Baking tray, chopping board, knife, vegetable peeler, oven
- 8 medium-sized carrots (or 2kg baby carrots)
- 2 red onions
- 2cm chunk of ginger
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 20ml of cold-pressed oil
- Salt and pepper
- 50g of fresh coriander
- 1 large orange
- 2 cloves
- 1-star anise
- 40ml of maple syrup
- Peel and cut the carrots into the baking tray
- Drizzle with oil and season well with salt and pepper
- Squeeze the orange juice from the orange all over the carrots and leave the whole orange in the tray to be roasted with the carrots too. (i normally use it for garnish on top of the salad after.) and then the maple syrup too.
- Add the clove and star anise
- Roast the carrots on 200oc for 25minutes
- Fry and caramalise the onion, ginger and garlic in a pan on a high heat leaving the onions fairly chunky
- Once the carrots are done mix everything together and add the chopped fresh coriander once it is cold.
- Serve and enjoy.
More Recipes / View All Recipes