Trying to stay away from dairy? Try out this recipe! Cartoned milk alternatives are ok but not even close to making your own, they tend to contain a very small percentage of actual nuts and have 99% of the time been cooked to preserve and improve shelf life. Making your own is the only way and its super easy too!
How do I activate my almonds?
Activating is something that I do to enhance the nutrients that you are getting out of your nuts and seeds. Its as simple as just soaking them in filtered water. This breaks down the nuts and makes them a lot easier for you body to digest. I soak hard nuts or nuts with shells overnight or as long as 24 hours and soft nuts like cashews for only 2-4 hours. When you soak nut they can start to ferment so before you use them make sure you drain them off and give them a quick rinse. Do not use any of the water that you have been soaking them in.
Almond Milk (to make 1.5L)
- Activate your almonds by soaking your nuts,
- In a high speed blender place your almonds and water.
- Blend on full speed for about 2 minutes to make sure that its as smooth as possible with as little bits in as possible.
- Strain your milk through a really fine sieve or use a nut milk bag.
- KEEP YOUR PULP YOU CAN USE IT FOR MANY THINGS! SEE HERE >>>>
- Put your milk back into the blender
- Add in your cinnamon, salt and coconut nectar
- Blend again just for 10 seconds to incorporate the other ingredients.
- Drink and enjoy, or use for smoothies bases, in your tea and coffee and many many other things.
Fresh almond milk will last happily for 3-4 days when you make it fresh and can also be frozen well.
More Recipes / View All Recipes